Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Little Rant

Okay...warning, warning...I'm about to get on my soapbox.  Today, my dear friend Kristin pointed me in the direction of the new Glee feature in GQ magazine.  I have to say I am absolutely appalled...or disappointed...or maybe both.  I have been a big Glee fan since the beginning because it's refreshing to watch a show that encourages young adults to grow as independent, moral, and creative individuals.  Add the fact that it's hilarious and I'm hooked.  I'm not by any means an ultra-conservative person, and I completely understand that these adult actors (Lea Michele and Dianna Agron) do not want to be typecast as teenagers forever, but it's no secret that the target audience is teens and females. So my question is, why on earth did they have to take such provocative pictures in a high school setting?  It basically contradicts the main message of the show, which is it's OK to be different/uncool/disabled/gay/etc.  In my opinion the photo shoot did a disservice to the millions of viewers who have embraced the show. I think the shots could have been just as hot without the blatant high school theme. Ahhhh... much better :)

(Images by Terry Richardson)

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said. Objectifying women, again. Why Cory doesn't look equally "hot" is beyond my comprehension. When season two started I noticed Lea had lost weight and was dressing sexier in the show. As an actress, affiliated with a show who's audience is considerably younger, why would you pose like this. Money is no reason. And why would you even put Terry Richardson in a room with anyone from Glee. My respect for the show is highly diminished.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6978045n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya this is just plain nasty. When I was in high school I had scrapbooks of magazine articles about my favorite actors. I'm sure this would have been an unwelcome surprise in there to my mother! I'm anything but conservative but this is just a giant step back. I haven't seen the male lead's photos but I'm guessing they are not so revealing.

    ReplyDelete