Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Craft and Create I

For today's Craft and Create entry, I'm going to show you something Erik's been working on for the last few weekends. Those of you who have not been to our place wouldn't know, but we have a couple baby gates in various entryways, even though we don't have a baby! They were left for us by the previous owners of our home and we re-purposed them to confine our little mongrel, Tux (our 6 lb, rambunctious, fur-ball that lights up our life). It is especially useful when we need to leave the little guy home as it keeps him away from the stairs and preserves our couches!  Truth be told, baby gates are typically...how shall I say...ugly.  But for many ma's and pa's they are 100% necessary. Well, Erik crafted up a nice solution. For 25 bucks he was able to make two Dutch doors for our kitchen. Very easy to make and very inexpensive. A great way to have the same benefits and I love the aesthetic! Nice work love!

Erik cutting the door in half and applying Bondo (automotive dent filler) to make a smooth surface 

Here Erik is screwing on the top molding to give the door a little something extra

A bit of paint 

Presto! Baby gate, Doggy-gate... aka Dutch doors. I'll be scouring Hippo Hardware for door knobs to go with the original 1920s hardware.

2 comments:

  1. I know! It looks great! I'm not going to lie, I'm very pleased to see those big plastic gates gone.

    ReplyDelete