Tuesday, September 14, 2010

All in a Pickle

Our first attempt at pickling


After taking a trip to our local farm The Pumpkin Patch , Erik (my husband) and I were inspired by the great bounty. We decided to try our hand at pickling! Being first timers I took two humbling trips to the grocery store; first for the correct size jars and second for distilled water. Who knew water could make such a difference in the murkiness of the brine. I could just nerd out on all this cooking chemistry!


Being a spice lover Erik insisted on the pepper, which turned out to be a delicious idea. After much debate we decided to place a lengthwise slice down the pepper to insure full infusion. I have no idea if it made a difference but it seemed like a good idea at the time.



These measuring cups always make me smile. No matter how large of a mess I've made.


Voila! This years batch of Super Duper Garlic Pepper Pickles! By the way that miniature purple onion in the jar on the upper right was supposed to be a normal sized red onion grown in our first year garden. I guess it was meant to be.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, I will trade you a jar of Drunken Fig Jam for a Jar of Pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pickles look awesome. The pepper was a good idea both for looks & flavor.

    ReplyDelete